Sunday

Sleepy in Berlin

Had an interesting 24 hours behind me.  First got "lost" in Gauteng - missed the R21 turnoff, thought I could find it on the M1 South in Jhb, didn't...and to make a long story short:  made a U-turn in Hilbrow, drove up to Rosebank where I got back onto the M1.  Still couldn't find ONE little sign to show me how to get to ORT and finally got help via cellphone and arrived safely at the airport.  120km later...eish.

The 10 hour flight was uneventful and not too unpleasant.  Lufthansa now also has those little tv-thingies on the back of each seat so I watched 4 movies on the flight.  Enjoyed Source Code and another one with Liam Neeson - Unknown or something like that.   Just couldn't sleep and after 2 valerian tablets slept for 1 hour.

Had to connect to Berlin on Frankfurt airport, which is the size of Port Elizabeth.  As it was around 5am, there weren't enough people at the passport control and it took 45 minutes to get through that.  Another 10 to get through security and then had to gun to get to the boarding gate on time.  My very heavy laptop backpack and small suitcase in tow and it felt like I had to semi-run about a kilometer.  Hard work.

At Berlin's Tegel airport I got me a week's ticket for the public transport system.  About R280, which isn't bad for a week's transport.  It is hard work to traverse public transport with two heavy bags in tow (23kg and 15kg) and a handbag and a laptop backpack - all on less than 2 hours' sleep (I got in about 20min on the flight to Berlin).

I love how organised the transport system is here...very predictable.  Here is the sign for the metro (U) that I caught to get to my accommodation.  And it really was 4 min and the train was there
.


This is the other side - where I came out of the metro-system.


Really pretty area where I'm staying this week.  Lots of parks and cobblestone paths.  I'll take more pictures tomorrow because there are stories about Jews embedded in this area.  More tomorrow about that.

I'm staying with a very nice couple in my church - will post a picture of them when I can catch them on camera.  This is my flatlet's main room:


Note the two bags standing in the picture - those were the two I had to lug around!  Beautiful and sunny.  There is also a small kitchen and bathroom with a balcony.  This is the view from the balcony:


I slept for about 2 hours and then went to the 2pm church service.  I'll tell more about that another time, but it was great to meet people that I've emailed while in PE.  Also interesting to sing songs that I know in German.  Actually a great way to practice German pronunciation.  I'll take pictures of the beautiful old church we have a service in after about two other church services took place earlier in the day.  Nearly everything in church takes place in German and then there is someone to translate for a few of us who don't speak German.  When the speaker is English, someone also does German translation for the Germans who don't speak English well.  

I'm feeling a bit melancholy for all things comfortable and known right now.  Miss speaking Afrikaans and my dog and my friends and family but also excited about all the new things I will experience and also about the new friends I will make.  I have just met friendly Germans so far.  One thing I have noticed though are that Germans understand the concept of rules and keeping to them.  For example, my 1week transport ticket only gets validated the first time you use it.  Thereafter, only spot-checks takes place and only after the "spot checker" has shown identity that he/she has the authority to do the check.  I tried to imagine some South Africans with this system and thought that maybe spot checks won't be enough.  Funny. 

Tomorrow I will go to the university to get a bank account and get registered in Berlin and at the university.  Also need to buy a plug adapter, a sim card and some food.  Interesting day ahead.  I will take pictures and post as soon as I can so I can share what I learn about my new temporary residence.  

By the way, today was a beautiful and sunny day and I felt blessed that I could feel the sun on my skin today.  

I apologise for all the spelling and grammar mistakes, by the way.  Just too tired to edit too much.  Am going to crash right away. 


1 comment:

  1. U'r lucky u got away with 15kg hand-luggage! Or maybe not so lucky for your commuting... See, there are advantages to them keeping your main luggage not more than 23kg ;). Ai, the joys of travelling!

    ReplyDelete