Wednesday

Banking in Berlin

Yesterday it rained a bit while I walked to the university to meet my research supervisor.  Beautiful - no wind and warm.  Afterwards I went to sign my accommodation contract - I'm now moving in on Friday and not Saturday as I was previously told.  I'm glad as it would be nice to nest a bit and get to know the neighbourhood.
I also got registered at the university's cafeteria which is called MENSA. It works on a prepaid system with a card like res' dining halls work but I'm sure the food's much better than I've seen at NMMU.  So much to choose from and it really doesn't look like hostel food.  I had pasta with a basil-tomato sauce, salad and choc milk.  Not really because it was my first choice but because I could translate these things and knew what I was eating.  Straight afterward I went to buy a little pocket dictionary so I can know what's what.  Also a map of Berlin.


So, went to open a bank account at Berliner Sparkasse.  They were very friendly and helpful even if we couldn't communicate well - the lady's English was only marginally better than my sparse German.  However, now I have a bank account. The manager was very apologetic as he could not offer me the "no bank fees" student package as I am older than 30.  So, now I have to pay 2E bank fees a month.  Sommer makes me seriously vies at the bank fees we pay in SA!
Talking of SA banks: {I'm in a battle with ABSA who neglected to tell me that since I'll be out of the country for more than 6 months (by 1 week btw) I'm not allowed to use my credit card.  Apparently the Central Bank's foreign exchange rules. As if I'll make a huge difference in the flow of the rand...  To be continued, probably with me switching banks as soon as I'm back in SA.}
After I finished in the bank, I climbed on the first bus that came along and eventually climbed off at Kurfurstendam as it seemed to have a lots of people.  I later realised that it a major tourist place where the buses that take people on a tour around Berlin have a stop.  You'll see one of those buses in the background.  It's anything from 20-30E (I have yet to find the euro sign on my keyboard) for this tour.  Apparently there is another bus you can take that the locals use on their normal routes that is way cheaper but that does the same route.  Maybe I'll do that one day.
I had currywurst for lunch and probably paid too much as I bought it at the tourist trap location.  This is apparently unique to Berlin.  It is some type of sausage, grilled, then sliced by the little mcafter on the right of the picture, curry powder strewn on top with what the lady called tomato sauce but it was much nicer and spicier than tomato sauce.  It was really tasty and surprisingly filling.


The buses here are so NOT Algoa bus service!  Clean, for a starters.  Also indicates which stop will be next (see left) and you press a button for the bus to stop if you want to get off at the next stop.
Very quiet and no diesel smells - again not very Algoa BS for you.
If the bus is much higher than the pavement level, it will go lower on the pavement side so one doesn't have to strain oneself to get off or on the bus.
The condition of the U carriages differ (See right), depending on the line one takes (I think there are 9 U lines).  The U7 which I take often coz I live right next to the exit isn't too hot although it still beats any metrorail and shosholoza meyl train by far!  

Petrol are more expensive here than in SA (see right). I don't know if the price is regulated like in SA.  I saw cigarettes for 6.50E today which is probably why I haven't seen that many people smoke.  I think ciggies are about R25 a pack, so much cheaper to smoke in SA.







Look at this picture of the pavement outside a shop.  How is that for trust and honesty.  All the stuff on the outside with no1 watching it.  Inside, you have to go and find the lady so she can ring up your stuff for you.  Wonder if shoplifting happens at all in Berlin?  What do kleptomaniacs in Berlin steal? Are there even any kleptomaniacs in Berlin?  There can't be much of a adrenalin rush here when you shoplift, which is what klepto's are after.


Told you I'll post a picture of the gigantic and humongous cheesecakes one sees at the bakeries.  A slice costs about 3E each, which isn't bad for a slice the size of Victor Matfield's rugby togs!  The cake smells much better though, don't worry. Those other thingies doesn't look too shabby either, hey?  I'll make sure that I taste each of the pastries that Berlin has to offer and will prove it by taking pictures of each type, ok?


One of the things I like most about traveling is eating what the locals eat.  Here (below)  is what I bought today at a little dodgy supermarket Penny Markt - a small Makro-like feel but some fresh produce.  Juice, potato salad (1kg is about R10), joghurt, juice, orange juice and cheese.  Just under 5E.  Will have cheese on bread with potato salad with rocket and tomato salad also.  Njam.  Please leave some comments at the bottom of the page.


I want to know what you think of Berlin of what you've seen so far or whatever.  Would be nice to have some feedback and your ideas as well.  


8 comments:

  1. Hey Amanda! It's interesting reading about your experiences & observations! I've noticed similar things compared to SA when I moved to Aus - that bank fees can be free, PT (public transport) is much more pleasurable & shops are much more trustworthy! But petrol is expensive there! Here its about the same as SA, and we are complaining! I guess this is also not such a good time for u as the Euro is costing u more Rands than just a few months ago, hey! But continue soaking in every moment & have a ball!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adelle, petrol is now even more expensive here! Fortunately I use the public transport and only paid 200E for 6 months' public transport - a deal the university has with the transport company. What a pleasure!

      Delete
  2. From just reading this it feels like I'm there, your blog is super exciting to read. I love your experience with food & the fact that you sample the taste for us. Ohh, that cheese cake yum! Berlin Looks beautiful, I should quickly organize my Schengen Visa :) Keep on writing to us, your experience is like an adventure ride. All the best my friend. Love from RSA courtesy of me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shonisani,
      Well, you missed out on the cheesecake and somehow I don't think a slice will make it to SA in a good condition. Sorry!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I had to go back to this to comment. The food looks and sounds amazing and I feel like I can only really appreciate food choice now after my Oz holiday. Have you had the cheesecake yet? x Barbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbs,
      Yes, yes, yes. I have to say that German excellence is especially evident in their approach to cake. I love it and will have to drop a bit of blubber when I go back home. :-)

      Delete
  4. I remember eating sausage in Berlin, it was delicious tho spicy - a bit much for me aged 11! Sheesh hey, that was 1985 - before the wall came down. Wish I could remember more of our holiday but it was a tour so not much time in Berlin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the curry tomato sauce that goes in it. Didn't know you've been to Berlin. Pity you can't come visit while I'm here, you know.

      Delete