Thursday

Starting in die Baai

Thought it would probably be appropriate to include something from Port Elizabeth in the first post as the blog is supposedly about being from die Baai2Berlin. 

Yesterday, Barbie, Gitte and Cascas came to help me pack - although, to be honest, Cascas was better at unpacking than packing. 
"What is this, Manda?"
"Put it back, Cascas."
"Ok, was just looking."
What is this Manda?"
"Cascas, put back into the suitcase!"
"OK, was just looking."  Repeat 10000 times...

Here is a picture of Cascas and Barbie after most of the packing was completed.  Cascas is being her exuberant self!

Yes, at the airport, I found my suitcase was overweight by 2kgs and that I wouldn't be booked in unless I pay the R60.  I chose to rather pluk out some of the books and stuff it in the suitcase I took onboard as hand luggage.  So, now at least I know my suitcase is the required 23kgs for the Lufthansa flight to Germany.  Really ridiculous that the length of stay is not taken into consideration when weight allowances are calculated.  Bad lufthansa.

Gogga and Maryke came to say goodbye at the airport, along with my parents and Neil and Noeleen.  Gogga asked me if he can also go on the airplane with me.  Too cute. 

I arrived in Jhb about 20min late due to a problem with the luggage at PE airport and it took about 20min to find Hertz car rental. Acsa really needs to improve their signage, jis.  I was quite nervous about driving all the way to Centurion, but Google maps actually gives you step by step instruction on how to get to your destination.  Was very surprised that I only had to make 2 U-turns.  Roadworks on the Ben Schoeman made the last bit of traffic a nightmare bumper-to-bumper but I'm now at Marcel and Karolien's place in Centurion.  Here is a picture of them for those who want to see how they look now. 


They quickly went to gym while I type this post - you know how some people exercise to get energy?  Never happens to me, but it apparently happens to the vdWatts!  We've been chatting "ou stukke" and will probably still have long chats before I leave on Sat afternoon.  My flight is around 7pm but I will make sure I have the car back at 3pm so I only have to pay for 2 days' rental. 

Karo really made an effort with my room here - even a chokkie on the bed.  I feel at home already. Here's my room with my huge suitcase - all 23kg of it. 

Tomorrow I'll maybe go to Menlyn park.  I haven't been since the major renovations and have to get a microfibre towel since Liza (my domestic) managed to pack my towel somewhere still to be found. Marcel said something about braaing tomorrow, which will be a nice goodbye to a properse braai for a while. 

If I get time at the airport and manage to connect via the wireless there I'll post some more.  Otherwise, I'll post again when I'm in Germany.  Many scary-exciting experiences still await me...like traversing public transport with all my luggage. 

1 comment:

  1. The vdWatts still look the same, except for Karo's shorter hairstyle :)

    ReplyDelete