Wednesday

Daytrip Berlin to Potsdam

Went on a trip to Potsdam.  It's part of the Berlin/Brandenburg metro but is a separate town.  I went with Micah, a friend that recently moved here from Florida, USA.  We went for most of the Saturday, but can definitely spend another day there.  It really felt like we were outside of Berlin and there were so many other tourists around.  We only visited the Sanssouci Palace and the Dutch Quarter, so here are some pics.  Follow the link if you want to get some history information because I'm only going to post some pics of things I liked.
The whole set-up.  On the left are all the palaces in the park, but only 2 are open in the winter.  It's huge and I think it is a world heritage site.  
At the back of the palace
I love these beautiful colours and shapes
The atmosphere was just so peaceful
Probably the last of the green in 2011 as it's now getting really cold

Even a windmill
And some sun!  

Eish, and just look at this beautiful architectural features
Close up of the pillar head above
Stunning trellised gazebo's that must look amazing in summer
A trellised tunnel - made me think of St. Georges Park
More detail on another gazebo
Architectural detail on the front of the palace.  Look how dirty those figures are.  I wondered if it was because of pollution.
View of the palace from the pond
The pond
These fig trees are planted in recesses in the wall and protected by these glass doors.  These trees are cut in this pyramid shape for some reason but the sign was in German, so I don't know why.  Don't understand why a world heritage site doesn't have English signage.  *mumble-mumble*
Details on a bench facing the pond.  Stunning!
Having lived at the coast for most of my life, I haven't experienced autumn this way often.  Look at the stunning colours!  
Interesting gate in the park
How cute is this?  
We went to see an old church there that looks like all old churches - and there's one around every corner in Europe.  But liked these statues above the front door. 
A view of one of the canals here.  This is surrounded by a large park and I'm sure this place is packed in summer!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! In SA we don't get such beautiful autumns coz we don't get such extreme seasons - a fair trade, I'd say ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Della, I agree regarding the fair trade. It's -10C today in Berlin and I'm thinking that I used to think 15C was a cold day. :-)

      Delete