Thursday

Winter in Berlin: Snow and Ice

As a South African that lives by the coast, winter in Berlin has been a very different experience of winter.  Port Elizabeth's is a coastal city which means the weather is moderate and sunny, if windy at times.  The average winter temperature is between 15-18 Celsius with the odd low or high spike and it's mostly sunny, even in winter.

When I saw how much sun we have in Port Elizabeth, I understood why I felt so depressed by the lack of sun in Berlin. 
Berlin's summer sunhours are just a litte more than PE's in winter!
Berlin has an average winter temperature that hovers around freezing.  This year Europe had a very cold spell as well, which was a whole new adventure!  I'm glad I could experience snow and ice and frozen nose hairs!  Glad to going back to moderate though!  I had to get used to how dark it is here in winter.  Berlin has an average of 37 sunshine hours in December.  It is pitch dark by 4pm, which seriously messed with my mojo! Fortunately, Christmas lights everywhere made the dark seemed more festive and cosy.  The average sunshine hours picks ups rapidly however and the March average is 120 hours!
The first snow of the season...very light.  
I love snow while it's falling.  Peaceful and beautiful!


Just as I thought I have survived the winter, the temperatures dropped quite dramatically.  
At first I thought -8C was cold.  

Then I realised -8C could be considered quite mild compared to -18C.  That was the coldest temperature I  experienced.  
Ice forming after less than an hour
Ice cubes the Berlin-way
Yup, frozen rock hard outside!
Early morning after it snowed during the night.  I checked how much by how many cm's of snow on my balcony's railing
During one snow shower.   This time it was big flakes that quickly covered the ground. 
This is how I survived those cold days.  3 pairs of pants, legwarmers, 2 pairs of socks in furry, watertight boots.  Yes, legwarmers - very 80s Flashdance I know.  Adapt or Die, baby.
Trying to capture the snow falling on me.  
Like in the sun, my skin just goes RED in the cold.  I had to buy new lip-ice as the South African stuff just emulsified in this cold!  
Waiting for a train while it's snowing.  This is the regional train whooshing by.  
Snowing quite hard.  My block of flats in the back ground. 
Fascinated with snow flakes.  Each one really looks different! 
Ducks swimming in the Spree among pieces of ice.  Hardcore! 
Amazing how these birds adapted to severe weather. 
The opposite of a microwave.  Cool stirfry quickly by putting it outside for a few minutes. 
Usually this is a green lawn.  Looks totally different with  snow.
Leafless trees looks amazingly dramatic when covered with snow
Taking pictures while waiting for the bus.  Ja, life goes on even in uncomfortable weather conditions. 
 




1 comment: