Friday

Silvester in Berlin

In Berlin, the new year's celebration is called Silvester as it is St. Silvester day on the 31st of December.  As this will be my first and only Silvester here, I decided to do what many Berliners do on that night:  go to the celebrations and fireworks at the Brandenburger gates.  So, I declined all the invitations to friends' homes, invited another friend Christiana and made ready to be crushed by crowds.  Little did I know the crowds will be the least of my troubles on Silvester!

In Berlin, everyone can buy fireworks.  This is somewhat different from South Africa where it's illegal in many cities to fire them within neighbourhoods. I realised something's up when I woke up on the 31st and it sounded like I'm living in the midst of a war!  Early morning and already fireworks were making noise.  It got worse as the day progressed and by the time I left to meet Christiana at 9pm, it was a non-stop banging noise everywhere.  By midnight my ears were aching and I couldn't wait to get home.  Unfortunately, safety is not the first priority of those having fun with the fireworks.  Often, it would be chucked into a bunch of people or right next to you on the pavement.  I even saw little children light huge rockets.  Here are some pictures of the night.
Walking to Brandenburger Tor
Still festive with Xmas lights
9pm and already so crowded at Brandenburger Gates, police cordoned off the direct routes.
Everywhere stalls selling eats and liquor.  Look at the pretzel tower.
Early in the evening and Christiana is still feeling festive
A DJ playing LOUD music
Fun right next to the DJ
The view towards Brandenburger Gate - getting very crowded even where we were standing.
Places everywhere you could eat or drink but crowd building even a few 100m from the Brandenburger Gate
View towards the victory statue. 
People were going crazy with their fireworks at the victory statue.  Look at the smoke. 
Some of the fireworks at the victory statue
We decided we had enough of being in the middle of fireworks going off and started walking towards the closest S-bahn station
We passed the Schloss Bellevue, the official residence of the President of Germany.  The blue light is an ambulance whooshing by.  Probably someone who blew their hand off with fireworks. 
A walk next to the Spree river.  In the background is the S-bahn.  Even here people were shooting fireworks.  Eish.
Quaint restaurant full of people at 11:30pm

Interesting car
Door of the oldest church in Berlin.  Decided to go visit this church tomorrow.
Statue next to the Spree
 So, after midnight I returned home, hoping for some peace and quiet.  But, no rest for the wicked.  This is the picture greeting me as I came out of the S-bahn station!
That is not fog or noise on the picture.  It's SMOKE! 
Fireworks mania in Osdorfer str.  Look at the smoke.  
More smoke and fireworks.
I honestly saw more fireworks waste than empty bottles in Berlin.  One can just about see a guy in the background.  He was unloading more fireworks from the boot of his car. 
Smoke getting even thicker.  A guy from across the road shot a rocket into this crowd.  I'm glad I wasn't standing there. 
One final picture of the smokey Silvester in Berlin
Next year I'll probably be in Port Elizabeth over this time.  I will stay home and be grateful that I'll only have to listen to my neighbours having a braai and listen to their Sokkie-Bokkie music.  Never thought I'd say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment