Thursday

West to East Berlin: Checkpoint Charlie

I was 20 when the Berlin Wall came down.  I remember reading all these stories about people trying to escape from East Berlin, sometimes by smuggling people through Checkpoint Charlie - the border post between East and West.

Nowadays, Checkpoint Charlie is a big tourist attraction.  I now have a South African neighbour, Frank Odei-Addo and he got dragged with to see what's happening at Checkpoint Charlie.

Self-explanatory...not sure how long that flag will still be there though, it's not looking to healthy
Frank loves to pose...behind him is a piece of the Berlin wall. 

Frank again at the border post
One can buy fridge magnets with this sign on as well - if that is your thing.  
I don't know who this guy in the uniform is, but here's another view
A bit of moolah (10E methinks) you can get a picture with some "American soldiers" at the former border post
You can also choose which country's military hat you want to wear
You can have your passport stamped.  For 10E you can get all the stamps.  I only got the former DDR stamp for 2E.  This guy got very excited when he saw I'm from South Africa and wanted to talk about Bafana-Bafana.  Pity I have no interest in soccer and couldn't say one meaningful thing about the boys.  But I could talk a bit about the World Cup... 
What it looked like in the before-days

As I went to Potsdam, I thought I'd take a picture of this as this was the only thing I knew of Potsdam - from Std 6 history. 
I don't know why this balloon is in the sky saying something about the world, but I liked it.



No comments:

Post a Comment